Monday, February 7, 2011

Birding with Children

My first experience with birds is probably not much different than that of your family's.  My dad came home with a humming bird feeder.  I soon learned that it attracted humming birds because of its red color.  I noticed how it had been created with a long straw like beak and how its wings beat so fast as to support its body during flight.  I later became interested in trying to photograph this creature.  All of this may sound similar to an experience you might have had or shared with your child.  It wasn't until college that I realized that this was an actual hobby for some.  I always thought if only I had pursued that one time experience I would already have the common names down and could focus on the hardest part (scientific names).  So as we all do I have decided to educate my children in a field that I wish I had more experience in as a child.

I began with a simple checklist of Tennessee Birds one year checking them off with Brandon as we watched out of our dining room window.  Then when we want to visit a state park one weekend he was so surprised "Momma look a nuthatch.  Just like at home.  I remembered."  Well as with any mom that was enough interest to reward the effort I had put into this project.  So here are some helpful hints for your journey into the hobby of birding.

Like I mentioned before birding is a wonderful hobby and the best part is the whole family can take part.  The neatest project that I have seen is one that the children can make from a simple cardboard box. 

Bird Blind

Items Needed

-Cardboard Box
-Markers
-Photos of Birds (Magazines, Cartoons, Photos)
-Knife (adults only Please)

Instructions:

Step 1
Adults- Cut off the open flaps of the box.  Then on the bottom of the box cut two circles that are big enough for a pair of binoculars to look through.  Next you will need to cut a wedge halfway into one of the long sides of the box.  When you are finished cutting the box will stand on its side with the wedge side facing down.

The wedge is for the child's body to fit in when they are looking through the holes with binoculars.

Step 2
Child- Next have the children decorate the box with drawings, clippings of birds or photos.

Step 3
Create a birding basket to go along with your blind.  Just grab a basket, fill it with an identification guide, binoculars, 4x4 index cards, pencil and state bird checklist.  Place close to your wildlife-viewing area window along with the birding blind.

Step 4

HAVE FUN Learning WITH NATURE



No comments:

Post a Comment