Saturday, February 5, 2011

Preparing for your Explorations

One of my first encounters with nature, that sparked an interest and would end up changing my life, began with a walk into the woods that surrounded my childhood home.  My dad and I found a empty turtle shell.  It was that one find that showed me there was so much that on could do with nature and science as a career.  Funny huh?  Well up until that point I had wanted to be a vet but for some reason holding that empty turtle shell made me realize that Wildlife needed help too.  Don't ask me why ....I guess that's how a 6th grader thinks..lol.  Before you head out for that one memorable hike with your child lets take a minute and review a few things that might come in handy on your hike. 

Before packing just remember that whatever you take down the trail with you, you also have to hike back out.  Things offend seem to become heavier the longer you hike.

There is a program on the web called HUG A TREE.  In this program it teaches children to stay put if they are ever lost and not to hide from help.  This is a great idea no matter what your age is ...lol.  Things can quickly become confusing in the forest as the sun begins to set or the trail that hasn't been maintained seems to fade away.  Check out their web site for educational material such as coloring sheets. 

A FEW Things you may want to have with you:

Map of your hike- Put it in a plastic bag to keep dry.

Water Bottle- This is a necessity for most outdoors adventures and I require it at all my Day Camps

Trash Bag- for a variety of uses ....cut a few holes in it for a raincoat (including a hole in the bottom for the head and two on the sides for the arms),  as a white flag for help or just to pick up liter.

Paper Bag- to collect leaves or treasures

First Aid Supplies- Band-aids, 4x4 swabs, ice pack, bandage stripes and any medication one might require if stung or prescription meds if needed.

Disposable Camera or Digital Camera- 

4x4 Index Cards- Great for taking notes or drawing pictures to identify objects later.

Pencil- Colored are great for the artist in every child.  Pencils also do not smear like pens and markers when they become wet.

Field Guides- Buy region specific depending on where you live for birds, trees, mushrooms, reptiles or whatever interest you.  Some people like to take these on the hike with them.  I like to go back and look up what we've drawn after the hike.

Whistle-  I have used this numerous times to help instructors get the attention of excited youngsters when needed.  One time I was able to use it when a victim had been hurt on the trail and I had been running to meet the party leading them out.  I was too out of breath to yell out so I blew the whistle instead.  Imagine your lost and cold with hypothermia setting in on you.  You might find it hard to yell out.  These are good for kids to have on hikes too as a safety measure. 

Compass- Most important part: learn at least to orientate the map to north with a map.

Matches in a dry container

Trail Mix

Plaster of Paris - enough to pour into a animal track so you can make a cast of it.  Just keep about 1/2 cup in a zip lock bag and mix it with water when you come across a track.  Mix it to the consistency of pancake mix and pour into track.
Raelynn yes you can hike with a little one too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment